Development of 5G and IoT and connected services drives Network Area to farm competences able to address both, hybrid fixed/mobile networks (especially 5G), as well as use and development of network virtualization and management software.
In particular, the Area is focussing on consolidating the following skills:
- Network and service quality in fixed and mobile networks;
- IoT and Smart Grids;
- 5G vertical applications;
- traffic management with Software Defined Network (SDN) and Network Function Virtualization (NFV) techniques;
- use of AI and “deep learning” methodology;
- es in 5G network management.
This focus on 5G and IoT – technologies crossing many economic sectors – by Networks Area translates in a high attention to extending the diversity of public authorities to carry out new projects with. An example being the Smart Roads agreement signed with the Ministry of Transport and Infrastructures and with the Ministry of Economic Development.
FUB carries out research activities in this Area, as reflected in numerous publications and conference proceedings – often in partnership with major international scientific bodies – as well as in European research projects participation.