To conduct studies on the use of the pioneer bands, in preparation for the introduction of the 5G in Europe by 2020, aimed at drawing up a road made for the release of a 700 MHz band, with technical and operational schedules.
The activities arise from the decision on 2 February 2016 of the European Parliament and the Council on the use of the 470-790 MHz frequency band in the Union, and from the opinion of the Radio Spectrum Policy Group of 9 November 2016 on the use of pioneer bands for the introduction of 5G in Europe by 2020. They are aimed at drawing up a national road map for the release of the 700 MHz band.
The general aim of the work is the study and the of the fundamental aspects for a possible strategy of the release of the 700 MHz band, in accordance with the provisions of European legislation, taking into account the specificities of the Italian market with particular regard to the effects on users and broadcasters, which currently have exclusive use of this band. In particular, in line with the requirements of Article 1 of the Convention of 30/11/2016, signed by the Foundation and by the MISE (DGSCERP), the study and the technical, scientific, operative and logistic support will be rolled out as follows:
- Analysis of the current use of transmission capacity in the 700 MHz band.
- Evaluation of the impact of the use of new compression and transmission technologies, approved by the ITU, and possible experiments to ensure a more efficient use of the spectrum by the Italian television system.
- Verification of the adoption of devices receiving a TV signal equipped with the technologies referred to in the previous letter b.
- Evaluation of the consequences and effects of the rationalization of the spectrum through alternative uses and innovative technologies, and through experimentation involving the terrestrial television system, mobile operators, the respective production sector and end users.
- Analysis and calculation of the coverage, the quality of the service and the effective transmission capacity used by Italian digital “multiplex”.
- The preparation of tools for the analysis of mutual radioelectric interference for the purpose of the international coordination of frequencies, designed to verify the potential coexistence of the two services in neighbouring countries and in adjacent bands.
- Support for the Ministry in carrying out international frequency coordination activities.