The main goals of the project are:
- to implement specific trials and create laboratories, consistent with the goals of the European Commission’s 5G Action Plan;
- to support the Italian Ministry of Economic Development in the implementation of a national monitoring system to ensure the efficient management of the radio spectrum;
- to create and integrate digital archives containing all the information required to properly manage the radio spectrum.
The activities carried out within the project will allow MISE, on behalf of the Italian State, to acquire knowledge and conduct experiments in order to exploit the opportunities provided by 5G and foster the country’s development. These activities are essential to avoid any form of digital divide, both in terms of bandwidths and the availability of digital services.
In 2018, in pursuit of the project’s objectives, FUB assisted Mise-Dgscerp in:
- the study of the paradigms characterizing the new 5G systems (in particular, issues related to capacity enhancement, massive connectivity, ultrareliable capability) and experiments on frequency bands for 5G above 60 GHz (see also RSPG 18-005 FINAL opinion);
- an analysis for the implementation of an electromagnetic spectrum monitoring network in order to ensure the efficient use of the spectrum and prevent interference;
- the development of a digital archive for Mise-Dgscerp on the use of frequencies in the 5G spectrum bands and its integration with the “Database of rights of use of network operators”.