Studies on the use of the pioneer bands, for the introduction of the 5G in Europe by 2020, aimed at the preparation of a 700 MHz band release road map, with technical and operational timing.
The activities derive from the decision of 2 February 2016 of the European Parliament and the Council on the use of the 470-790 MHz frequency band in the Union and the Opinion of the Radio Spectrum Policy Group of 9 November 2016 on the use of the pioneer bands for the introduction of the 5G in Europe by 2020 and are aimed at preparing the national road map for the 700 MHz band release.
The general purpose of the work is the study and the evaluation of the fundamental aspects for a possible strategy of the 700 MHz band release according to the provisions of the European legislation, taking into account the specificities of the Italian market with particular regard to effects on users and broadcasters, which currently have exclusive use of this band. In particular, in line with the requirements of Art. 1 of the Convention of 30/11/2016 signed by the Foundation and by the MISE (DGSCERP), the study, the technical, scientific, operative and logistic support will be declined in the following activities.
- Analysis of the current use of transmission capacity in the 700 MHz band.
- Evaluation of the impact of the use of new compression and transmission technologies, approved by ITU, and possible experiments, to ensure a more efficient use of the spectrum, on the Italian television system.
- Verification of diffusion of devices receiving the TV signal equipped with the technologies referred to in the previous lett. b.
- Evaluation of the consequences and effects of the rationalization of the spectrum through alternative uses and innovative technologies, also through experimentation, towards the terrestrial television system, mobile operators, the relative productive sector and end users.
- Analysis and calculation of coverage, quality of service and effective transmission capacity used by Italian digital "multiplex".
- Preparation of tools for the analysis of mutual radioelectric interferences for the purpose of international coordination of frequencies aimed at verifying the coexistence of the two services between neighboring countries and in adjacent bands.
- Support to the Ministry in carrying out international frequency coordination activities.