For the period 2019-2021, the project pursues the following objectives:
- Critical revision of 3GPP specifications for architecture, security and assurance procedures for 5G systems, with particular attention to Network Slicing;
- Definition of a methodology for the treatment of SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) systems in accordance with the national regulation on cyber security of critical infrastructures;
- Analysis of the potential of Blockchain technology for the authentication of public keys in the IoT context.
The project results, produced in the three-year period 2019-2021, will be usable by the stakeholders of the electricity system as a contribution to:
- Assessment of the maturity of 5G systems with regard to ICT security and assurance;
- Management of SCADA systems with regard to constraints deriving from national regulation on the cyber security of critical infrastructures;
- Assessment of the potential of Blockchain technology for the authentication of IoT devices.
The project is in the framework of the Three-Year Plan of Ricerca di Sistema program for 2019-2021. In particular, the project supports the RSE Three-Year Implementation Plan (Project 2.3 – WP2 – Increase of system security and resilience) by carrying out the envisaged ICT security and assurance activities for 5G system components (2019-2021), SCADA systems (2019-2021) and Blockchain technology (2020-2021). In the three-year period, the project focuses mainly on the following aspects:
- Evolution of the security architecture and procedures for 5G systems defined by 3GPP;
- Evolution of both the assurance specifications for 5G systems defined by 3GPP (SCAS – Security Assurance Specification) and the scheme (NESAS – Network Equipment Security Assurance Scheme) for the corresponding security assessments jointly defined by 3GPP and GSMA;
- Vulnerabilities of SCADA system components and related reference requirements for ICT security and assurance;
- Evolution of the national regulation relating to security and assurance for ICT components of critical infrastructures and its effects on components of SCADA system;
- Vulnerabilities of SCADA system components and their consideration in the context of the national regulation for ICT components of critical infrastructures;
- Combination of Blockchain systems and PKI systems to support the authentication of IoT devices.