The overall aim of the project is to assist the Italian Ministry of Economic Development, in particular the General Directorate for Electronic Communication, Broadcasting and Postal Services, in dealing with the refarming of the 700MHz band for allocation to 5G technology and producing a roadmap for the deployment of 5G networks, services and applications in Italy by 2022 (paragraph 1039 of the Law 205/2017).
The activities carried out within the project will allow MISE, on behalf of the Italian State, to better prepare for the nation’s transition to 5G by 2022, as laid down by EU directives. In particular, this transition will require the refarming of the 700 MHz band, with the consequent rearrangement of the television sector of the Network Operators and Suppliers of Audiovisual Media Services, and the assignment of the other pioneer bands designated for 5G.
The project shall provide support to Mise-Dgscerp through:
- the definition of geographical transition areas and the preparation of scientific and technical tools for the simulation of propagation and interference;
- the verification of the scenarios arising from the new National Frequency Assignment Plan and the national Roadmap;
- the identification of a model for potential interference emanating from the emissions of the base stations, with regard to TV antennas;
- defining the procedures for the implementation of international agreements on the matter;
- the creation of tools of analysis for the definition, simulation and verification of the technical rules arising from international coordination agreements;
- the preparation and conduct of auctions for bandwidths in the 3.6-3.8GHz and 26.5-27.5 GHz spectrum, including tender follow-up activities;
- the development of experimental studies into the coexistence of different technologies in the pioneering bands designated for 5G, including the implementation of propagation and coverage tests of radio signals at different frequencies;
- the drafting of official documents for the conduct of tender procedures and the preparation of rankings, both of Network Operators (OR) and Audiovisual Media Services Providers (FSMA);
- the management and monitoring of technical operations for the release of the 700 MHz band, including relations with MISE (in particular, with the Territorial Inspectorates overseeing those operations);
- the analysis, design, implementation and training concerning the digitization of archives and Mise-Dgscerp processes for the management of the rights of use of the spectrum for television broadcasting activities.